Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A beginning. An ending.

The ending part.

My Uncle Lynn passed away yesterday. I'm still reeling from the shock of it all. It just seemed to happen so quickly. As a kid, I spent a lot of time with him. We owned a little trailer next to my aunt and uncle's in Duschene. We spent so many summers there...riding the four-wheelers, finding horny-toads, taking long walks, boating, sitting around the fire. He was a tall man with a big personality and after hearing abt his condition, right before he passed--it doesn't sound like the same man I knew. I remember being 6 or 7 and I was on the 4-wheeler with him. He started going up a steep hill and the front of the 4-wheeler started tipping up. I fell backwards into the dirt and he caught himself with one arm before he fell on me. With the other arm he pushed the 4-wheeler off of us. I'll never forget that. The smell of gasoline and the ringing in my ears. And the look on his face. The concern and the fear. I remember holding onto him very tightly as we drove back to the trailer and the apology he gave my mother for putting me in danger. He was a good man.
There is a very large part of me that is relieved that he is at peace, but he will be so very missed.

"Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality." ~Emily Dickinson


The beginning part.


Gibb started Preschool on Monday. Lots of mixed feelings...for the both of us, I think. We decided to go with a Montessori school, and I'm so happy that we made that decision. I was wary at first with the whole idea of self-directed learning, but I think it'll be so good for him. Gibson is loving the birds in the classroom and the teachers tell me he's doing great with all of the independent activities. I worry abt the social aspect. Most of the kids were together last year and already know each other and the format. He says that the girls stare at him and won't talk to him. Robbie told him to get used to that. HA! And then there's the humus. They give them humus at snack time. We're not humus people. Anyway. I think I'm over-thinking this whole thing. He's three. And he's perfect. And one of his favorite things to do at school is water the sunflowers. :)

Catch ya' later!

13 Comments:

Blogger Lyndsay Breid said...

Sorry about your loss. :(

I've had my daughter in Montessori since she was 2 (she's 7 now) - it's a whole different ball of wax than a public school. I do think it's been the best thing for her though! She loves it, and can't wait to go back to school next Tuesday. Good luck to your little one! I'm sure he will love it.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Heather,
I am so sorry to hear about your uncle but oh all the wonderful memories you must have.
thinking of you.

9:30 AM  
Blogger miss morgan... said...

sorry for your loss!

and ohmygosh! gibson looks so flippin' cute! i went to montessorit and loved it! i started publick school in first grade way ahead in reading and math! and it was a great enviornment!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

yeah for Montessori!! Both of my children attended for PreK and I substitute there. I can't tell you enough how much Gibb, yourself and Robb will truely love the entire experience. The social thing will work itself out- it's always like that for every kid. He will make friends in short time- besides, he looks like a cool kid with creative parents. I'm sure some of that has rubbed off on Gibb!

12:44 PM  
Blogger kathleen said...

Sorry about your Uncle, Heather!! Have a safe trip.

Gibb looks adorable! The first few weeks are hard, but soon he'll be running in the class room, forgetting to say good-bye : (
(just love that little monkey vest!!).

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

oh my goodness...what a cutie!! Can you please tell me where you purchased that shirt? I must have one for my son!! (jenniferbehmer@hotmail.com)

I'm very sorry for the loss in your family!

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How stinkin cute is he? What a doll baby and I love the hair.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle. My DD is starting her second year at a Montessori school next week (she's 4). Even though all the kids have different personalities, they all love going to school there. You will be amazed at how independent he will become (in a good way ;))

8:59 AM  
Blogger The Buford Family said...

me, too! I need a super cute monkey shirt for my litle guy! where oh where did you get it??? I must know!

hpe all is well - thinking of you today.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your uncle...my thoughts are with you and your family

1:17 PM  
Blogger Closet Artist said...

oh my goodness you are in my head!
our daughter also is 3 and starts Montessori in a week. I have all the same thoughts/questions/concerns you posted here! it's tough to go the "alternate" route to education but we feel our daughter will be all the better for it. and i'm happy to hear my thoughts about Montessori are common!
wishing your little guy a happy year!
cheers,
renee

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love you heather!!!
(((hugs)))
Sorry to hear about your uncle.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home