Monday, July 30, 2007

A fallen soldier.



I need your help.

Robb and I stayed the night at my mom's house the night before we flew out to CHA. As we pulled into her neighborhood we were overcome by the flag-lined street. There were 400 flags leading up to the Barnes home. Across their house was a huge banner that read, "Sergent Nathan Barnes: Returning with Honor." I was so very happy. Their soldier had returned home. The next morning, we drove to the airport and I heard the news. Nathan had been killed in Iraq. He was exiting a helicopter that was under fire and he was shot. I was just so overcome. The Barnes family are the loveliest people. They are kind and generous and I just could not believe what had happened--my heart just ached.
I went to my mother's this weekend and I saw Brother and Sister Barnes in sacrament meeting. I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything. But I knew that I wanted to do something. And I need YOUR help. I want to put together a box of cards to give to the Barnes family. I'm asking for anyone and everyone to make a card dedicated to this lost son/ brother/ uncle, so I can send them to his family. Through the feelings of loss and sadness I feel this overwhelming gratefulness. Nathan gave his life for this country and now his family must survive that loss.
If you are willing to help, please e-mail me at papertangos@yahoo.com and I'll send you my address. If you are a Poppy Ink member, you can send your card to the return address on your boxes. Please send the cards to me by August 20th. If you can, please spread the word. I want this family to know that their son will not be forgotten and that amazing people from all over the country know abt his story.
You can read more abt him here.

Thank you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

Count me in Heather. I am also from Utah and heard all about his story. My prayers are with the Barnes family tonight.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Sara Berry said...

Hi Heather. My husband is currently serving in Baghdad. As a military wife I think what you are doing is very important. Thank you for taking the time and effort to make sure that the Barnes family knows that there are people all over this country who share their sorrow at the loss of their son and recognize their sacrifice in the name of freedom.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Heather. I saw a link to your blog on WT. I will absolutely be participating. This is so very sad. I will be emailing you for the address. Thank you so much for doing this.

11:30 AM  
Blogger e said...

heather- this is heartbreaking.
i will keep his family in my prayers.
xe

2:40 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thank you for doing this!

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home