Thursday, July 13, 2006

A little bit sentimental...



I don't know why I get like this.
All emotional and sentimental. And just drained.
Totally feelin' like I need three thousand hugs and a nice hot cup of tea.

I was a bit apprehensive about "showing and telling" my BasicGrey Be Bold album, but I think it'll be cathartic. And I think this is the right time.

I made an album dedicated to my brother, James. He passed away as a newborn. I wasn't even born then, but I've always known about him. I was born a little less than a year later. I think because I wasn't alive when he left, I was never able to grieve. How do you grieve for something you've never really lost? I still feel a very strong connection to him. Like I knew him before. Believe me. I know that sounds strange, but it's true. I've always felt like I missed out. I felt a bit cheated. I felt lost without my big brother. This album, "Who I Am: A Letter To My Brother" is a compilation of moments that he missed. My wedding. The kissing tag fiasco in Kindergarten. Meeting Robb. Meeting Gibb. Teenage angst. Moving to Hawaii. My love of books. Grandma's Funeral. The birth of my son. Small glimpses into my life without him.
On the back of each layout is a letter. The last one reads:
Dear James,
I am a 25-year-old mother, star-gazer, wife, sister, daughter, dreamer, scrapbooker, writer, reader, dish-washer. I am brimmed with memories and moments that you missed. That
we missed. Hollow in spaces that even my dreams can't fill. I am still just a sister searching for her lost brother. I can't stop wondering who I would have been if you had been a physical part of my life. James, I've forgiven your absence. I've forgiven the holes. I concede to you being my Gaurdian Angel. Patched, mended, we'll swap stories soon.
Always Missing You,
Heather


Yea. I know.
I'm really grateful to BasicGrey for having a contest that required us to dig deep and be bold. I never would have created this album without that push.

Here's a photo of Gibb and my mom at the lake on Monday. This little boy loves his munga fuss (that's what he calls her, silly little guy). These are the moments, ya know?!


"And through and over everything, a sense of glad awakening."--Edna St. Vincent Millay

In other news: We're going to Hawaii for Christmas. Robb's mom and sister both live on Oahu. It'll be my first Christmas without snow. Excited and a bit sad.

17 Comments:

Blogger Lori Gentile said...

Sending you hugs, Heather! Your album is beautiful. That sense of loss is a part of who you are and it makes perfect sense to me. I hope the album ultimately brings you comfort.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...lots of emotional blogging today...you aren't alone out there.
Your post sent chills, I lost a baby brother 2 yrs. before I was born. My Mom has always talked about him and I named my oldest son after him. I too have grieved not having a brother, not having 3 siblings, all that he would have been and balanced out. Watching the effects on my Dad not having a son. Big Big HUGS to you! What a beautiful tribute.
Anne S.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Lu said...

This is really nice and a wonderful tribute you your brother. I think you did a beautiful job with the album.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

wow - powerful, emotional, important album. TFS.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful album!!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautiful. Love the sentiments and I really appreciate the subject. We do feel for those close family members we didn't meet. All of our lives we wonder. Thanks for sharing this touching work of yours!

10:01 AM  
Blogger jill said...

Your album is so amazing and touching. Thanks for sharing it with us heather.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing this... so beautiful and very thought provoking...
I'm sure your brother would be very proud of you and all that you have accomplished.
kim faucher

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your album
and here's a hug ((hug))
and we are going to hawaii
the day after xmas
i can't wait

1:06 PM  
Blogger Kelly Goree Photography said...

oh heather...your album is just amazing. truly amazing.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such an amazing tribute! Big hugs to you. I need to do something like this for my DH he also lost a brother about 2 years before he was born and wonders about "what would have been".

5:58 PM  
Blogger ♥♥♥ jEn ♥♥♥ said...

heather...my thoughts go out to you in a hard time for you. i totally understand your loss and how hard it must be everyday. nothing can come close to express how profound loved ones can touch us to our core. and your album is absolutely gorgeous...you are soooo talented and such an inspiration to all us sb'ers. {{hugs and warm wishes}}

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! you are an amazing writer and artist. Your album is wonderful.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Micayla said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:03 AM  
Blogger The Buford Family said...

okay - so I am tearing up - AGAIN! That's twice in one morning over YOU! I, too, lost a brother before I was born. His name was Rodrick Allen Hodel - born and buried in Hillsboro, Kansas. Too premature, lungs weren't developed enough to make it past two days. I can't wait to meet him one day - until then, he gives me the ability to raise two boys when I grew up with only sisters. I hear his advice when my patience is gone. Thanks for sharing. Lori

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm feeling a ton of emotions right now but am moved by the love you express for your brother. The whole concept for your album is so inspiring and your writing is incredibly beautiful. Chin up Heather. These moods are normal, and necessary. It's how you grieve and there's nothing wrong with it.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Mitsubishi 4wd commercial trucks for sale Auto insurance ais Microsoft com spyware virus scan Chrysler concorde engine blueprint boots and iidea Animated adult movies What is a good car alarm Audiovox pursuit car alarms Affective domain of learning Mercedes s500v Porsche 911 a2fc vent rotary switch Uk capitolone mastercard

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home