Monday, July 03, 2006

Funny.


My son has the best sense of humor.
Really, he does.

I had totally forgotten about this photo until tonight. I was going though some photo files and I found it. A couple weeks ago, after he'd woken up from his nap, he asked for his little person bookend that was on his bookshelf. He usually asks for some weired item when he wakes up...So I handed it to him and we went downstairs to have lunch. I was making him some cheese (aka pb&j sandwich on whole wheat bread) and I heard him scream, "Mama, funny! Mama, funny!" I walked into the family room and he was beaming in front of the wooden IKEA sculpture and his little person bookend. He'd posed them on the couch. We both stood there for a second, admiring his little art installation, and then he walked off saying, "Oh mama, it's funny." He's right. I think it's pretty funny, too.

Those little moments are the kinds of things I don't ever want to forget. I start getting all teary and emotional when I think about how fast he's growing up and how much I've already forgotten....Even as I cling to every moment--try to preserve all the nuances that make him him
I feel things falling away from me. If scares me because I want to remember everything. It seems like some women fall into wifehood and motherhood seamlessly, I'm not one of them. Marriage and kids take a lot of selfless work and I wasn't born innately selfless. I have to work at it. I feel like all those little moments are what make all the sacrifice worth it, and I don't want to forget them...Like tonight, Gibby and I ate pizza and watermelon in the family room on the floor for dinner, and I just had the best time gibbering and hanging out with him. There was no time outs and no yelling and no pokes in the eye (Since when so kids do that? No one warned me about that one)...just pure together time. What happens if I forget that moment...

Anyway, enough mindless rambling...
random fact: I want to be the type of person who values quality over quantity. Totally something I need to work on.

Catch ya' later.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids are the best, they say the dardest things. Thanks for sharring that Lou.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such a good reminder to cherish each moment...it is amazing how quickly time passes!!

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very good reminder!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those special little times

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awe.......... how sweet! This is what makes me want a child even more! :)

7:24 PM  
Blogger The Buford Family said...

An important reminder that I needed to *heAr* today. It gets harder the older my boys get to remember those little comments or funny moments. A good reason to keep scrappin'!

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home